Monday, February 22, 2010

Leeann's Jambalaya

Sorry for the long absence, but I've been doing some freelance writing, so hopefully you will be able to see my by-line elsewhere on the internet soon :)

Last night I made some Jambalaya, and let me tell you this is going to be a regular around my home now- it was delicious! This is the original recipe:

2 cups Uncle Ben's converted rice
2lb shrimp or diced chicken
1lb sausage, sliced
1 can french onion soup
1 can beef broth
2-8oz cans sliced mushrooms
14oz can diced tomatoes
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
black pepper, thyme, and hot sauce to taste
1 stick butter

Mix all ingredients except the butter and transfer to a 9x13 baking dish. Slice butter and lay on top. Bake at 350 for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, stirring after the first 40 minutes and every 20 minutes thereafter.


Modifications:
  • Change the rice to instant brown rice, or 1/2 brown and 1/2 white if you like. This will increase the fiber and also cut down on cooking time. I don't know about you, but I don't usually have an hour and a half to make dinner.
  • For the meat, use 1 1/2lb shrimp and 1 lb package of LightLife SmartSausage, a soy version of Italian sausuage. Don't think I'm crazy, I promise every meat-eating friend I have had try these "sausages" think they are really good. And they are only 140 calories and 7g fat (mostly unsaturated, heart-healthy fat) as opposed to 391 calories and 35g (almost HALF saturated) fat in regular italian sausage. Another option would be turkey sausage. Slice them and brown in a skillet first to give them a good sausage-y texture.
  • Since I used instant rice, I cut the liquid down by using 2 tsp vegetable base and 2 cups of water. I swear by vegetable base for all my cooking- it has no extra fat or MSG or other surprises you might find in canned broths or soups.
  • Keep the mushrooms and tomatoes, of course! Use salt-free canned varieties whenever possible.
  • Green onions, hot sauce,  and fresh black pepper are all great ways to season a dish without adding extra salt and/or fat. Use liberally.
  • Ah, butter. We meet again. The only justification I can come up with for using an entire stick of butter in this dish is if you really like to see your reflection in your food. Cut it down, I swear you won't miss it. And switch to a trans-fat free tub margarine for a dish like this where butter isn't contributing to texture or structure.
The final product:



Terri's Jambalaya:

2 cups instant brown rice
1 1/2 lb thawed frozen shrimp
1 lb soy italian sausage, sliced and browned in skillet
2 cups water
2 tsp vegetable base
2-8oz cans sliced mushrooms
14oz can no salt added diced tomatoes
1 bunch green onions, chopped
freshly ground black pepper, thyme and hot sauce to taste
2 T trans-fat free tub margarine, cut into small pieces.

Combine first 8 ingredients in a 9x13 baking pan. Sprinkle pepper, thyme, hot sauce and margarine over top. Place, uncovered, in a preheated oven at 350 degrees. Bake for 1/2 hour, then stir. Bake 15-30 minutes more, or until the liquid is absorbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment